March 22nd, 2014
Rome
I'll have plenty of time to journal tomorrow… Many hours on a plane to Philly, then a five hour layover there before heading to Knoxville… So I'll just take this opportunity to pen my farewell letter to this continent.
I have seen so very little of Europe… But what I have seen will remain with me forever. Seeing Big Ben that first day, standing on top of the Eiffel Tower and looking out over the City of Lights, sipping espresso in the shadow of La Sagrada Familia, seeing Paul's tomb in Rome… I am grateful beyond words. It's such a cliche expression, but it's so true. I have no words to express my thankfulness, my experiences, my love of these cities…
Thank you to everyone who helped me get here. I owe so many debts, and this poorly scribbled collection of reflections won't even come close to paying it off. So thank you.
Sitting here in the hotel garden, listening to the crazy Roman traffic around me, it's slowly dawning on me that this is it. I'm going home. This life of sightseeing, gelato eating, and following Tomasso's hand everywhere will stop.
Goodbye, London, Paris, Barcelona, and Rome. I learned so much from your churches, your people, your food… Thank you, God, for keeping me whole throughout the trip, and opening my eyes to the people you love and cherish around the world.
Also? I'm coming back. This is not the end. I have a whole life ahead of me, one that I can fill with traveling adventures and new cultures. So I suppose this isn't really goodbye, Rome… It's until next time, an informal 'ciao ciao'. I threw a coin, after all. See next post.
Abigail
No comments:
Post a Comment